Another simple stir-fry dish, this is something that you can do quickly, especially if you have salted egg on hand! I do know that not everyone has access to cured/salted eggs, so right off the bat, here’s a recipe for salted egg yolks. Take note that the eggs take 4-6 days curing, but if made in advance can be added to multiple dishes like stir-fried dishes, salads, or even pasta—possibilities are endless.
I was planning on doing something else with the green beans, but on the day that I was going to cook these, I woke up a bit later than usual and I needed to make something that was faster to make and would require less ingredients in the process. We had salted eggs at that time and I thought, maybe it would be great to just add these to the green beans with some garlic and some chili. The result was phenomenal!
In other similar recipes, the egg whites of the salted egg are discarded and the yolks are mixed with some milk or chicken broth. However, I thought that it would be wasteful to discard the egg whites, so I kept it and included in this recipe. This still resulted into a lovely slightly creamy texture to the dish.
We won’t be adding any salt to the dish because salted eggs will have enough salt content in them to flavor the dish well.
If you will cure your own salted-egg yolks, there will be of course no egg whites, and you may add about ½ cup of chicken stock or milk (milk is great, so that it will be rich and creamy) to the dish to make a good sauce.
Here’s the recipe!
Green Beans in Spicy Salted Egg Sauce
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5-7 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- 350-400 grams of green beans, cleaned (strings from both ends removed) and chopped to 2-2 ½ inch pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 2-3 bird’s eye chili, chopped. Chopped serranos can also be used for this dish, if bird’s eye chili isn’t available.
- 4 salted eggs, chopped/mashed. Use 5 salted egg yolks, grated, if you’re using salted egg yolks.
- *optional: ½ cup of milk or chicken broth, if you are using egg yolks only.
- Optional: A dash of sesame oil
- Heat some vegetable oil on a wok. Add the garlic and bird’s eye chili and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the salted egg/egg yolks (and milk/broth, if you’re using just egg yolks) and toss well for a good minute or two, making sure that the broth/milk doesn’t reduce, if you’re using egg yolks.
- Add the green beans and toss for about 2-3 minutes, making sure that the green beans are coated well with the salted eggs.
- Optional: add a dash of sesame oil for extra aroma and flavor. Serve hot and enjoy!