Hi everyone! Hope you’re doing well. It was my dad’s birthday last week and we weren’t able to get him a sugar free cake. I overheard that he wanted a chocolate cake, and being a novice baker myself, I resorted to something that might be a bit easier—sugar-free brownies. I looked through a lot of recipes and decided to forego the keto route, and also used Stevia as my sugar substitute. However, since Stevia has a 2:1 sweetness ratio to sugar, I used less than most of the recipes that I looked into. I also had to modify by adding some milk because my batter was quite dry, at the suggestion of my baker friend, to make my brownie more moist.
So am sharing with you the recipe that worked best for me.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup of sugar free chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cups of stevia or 1 ½ cups of sugar alternative (if the alternative is 1:1 in ratio)
- 1 cup of melted butter
- 3 eggs
- Start off by mixing together the flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Then add the cocoa powder, mixing together until it’s well blended with the flour.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your stevia powder or chosen sweetener along with 1 cup of melted butter. Mix continuously until it becomes smooth.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the sweetened butter and mix.
- At this point, I realized that my mixture is dry, so I added about 1 cup of fresh milk/ This would really depend on how humid the weather is, the type of flour and sweetener you are using. I chose stevia so this has more of a 2:1 ratio, so I had to adjust accordingly. You want to achieve a consistency that is thick, but not too resistant against the spatula.
- Then I added 3 eggs, one egg at a time. My right arm started to hurt at this time, so I chose to do this using a stand mixer. Mix this until very smooth.
- Fold in your sugar free chocolate chips or chunks.
- Then pour the mixture in a 9×9 inch pan that’s been lined with parchment paper. Place this in the oven that’s been preheated to 160 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes.
- After bringing this out of the oven, wait for the brownies to cool for a bit before cutting through them. There you have it, your sugar free brownies. Enjoy!