Inspired by a Turkish Dish, Kabak Mücveri, this dish is easy, delicious, and you can make it low carb too. While it isn’t a 30-minute meal, all you need to do is mix everything up and place in the oven and let it cook by itself. I also used the mini food processor a lot to be able to help me cut down my prep time in half.
Kabak Mücveri is usually fried into small crispy fritters, but modern takes to this dish have used the oven to bake thin layers into a crispy treat. The salty sharp feta cuts through the distinct flavor of the dill and the mildness of the zucchini.
However, you can make it like a quiche loaf, especially if you don’t have feta—which was what had happened to me that day. Blend the cream cheese with other sharper-flavored cheeses—in my case I used parmesan.
If you want it to become similar to a quiche, get a pan that is at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. If you want your dish to become crispy like fritters, you can spread this thinly on a baking tray, and turn the heat up 50 degrees higher.
Zucchini and Dill Bake
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 2 large sized zucchinis (or 3 medium sized ones), shredded
- 1/2 cup of cream cheese. If you have feta, this is much better (and closer to the original recipe)
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese (only if you are using cream cheese and not feta)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 spring onion, chopped finely
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of fresh dill, chopped finely
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp flour (skip for lower carb content)
- salt and pepper
- 2 dashes paprika
- Olive oil, for coating the tray or baking dish
1. Put the shredded zucchini in a tea towel/piece of cloth and add salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Close the piece of cloth and squeeze the water out.
3. In a large bowl add all the ingredients together and mix.
4. Place in a well-oiled baking sheet (for thin crispy fritters) or deep dish (for quiche-like loaf) and place in the oven that has been pre-heated to 200 degrees Celsius, and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Garnish with fresh dill on top.