I haven’t written in a while–adjusting to new beginnings has been a bit of a challenge to myself, mostly leaving me with less time and energy for writing. In all honesty, cooking had been more of a thing I’ve done in a rush; as do most homecooks that on a daily basis.
But it doesn’t mean you need to take the fun out of cooking. You can still be creative and experimental and come up with new dishes and nice meals.
I’ve received some comments from readers and friends that some of my recipes seem to be tough to do– it’s not your day to day local Filipino recipe. most of the dishes are easy to make— I have included them under “30 minute meal” tags.
For this post, I’ve come up with a new recipe! Not really, but it is a quick healthy dish that is actually Japanese: White Stew. It’s great as a summer dish, but you can make it extra piping hot on a cold, rainy day. This recipe is one that is probably inspired by Final Fantasy XV’s “Veggie Medley Stew”. Ingredients in the dish were Leiden Potatoes, Funguar (mushrooms), and sheep’s milk. These are ingredients that you would have found in the game map, then Ignis proceeds to say that he has come up with a new recipe.
For my recipe tho, we will use regular cream and I’ve added chicken cubes to it, just to make it a heartier one pot wonder.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 onion, chopped into small pieces
• 1 medium carrot, chopped into half inch pieces
• 1-2 cups broccoli florets
• 1 potato, skinned and cubed into half inch pieces
• 1 cup of shimeji mushrooms, cleaned
• 300 grams of chicken, cubed (mix or thigh and breast fillet cubes)
• 2 tablespoons of butter
• Flat leaf parsley for garnish
• 1/2 teaspoon of ground sage
• 1/2 teaspoon of ground paprika
• 1-2 dashes of ground nutmeg
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 250 ml of all purpose cream
1. In a pot, saute the chicken in 1 tbsp butter and half the garlic. Add salt, pepper,a dash of sage and paprika. Saute until lightly browned. Set aside.
2. In the same pot, saute the remaining garlic along with the onions. Once onions are translucent add the carrots and potatoes. Add another dash of sage and salt and pepper.
3. Add the chicken back and pour in the cream.
4. Add a pinch of ground nutmeg. Bring to a boil and continue simmering in low heat for 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft before adding the broccoli and shimeji mushrooms. Simmer for five more minutes.
5. Serve very hot, with flat-leaf parsley leaves on top. You can opt to put the stew in a ceramic pot to keep it warm.